Direct Rule And Prohibition On Political Parties
During the direct rule of King Mahendra, a government was formed under the chairmanship of Subarna Shumsher on 21st Mangsir 2014 BS. This government proclaimed the Constitution of Nepal-2015 on 1st Falgun 2015 BS. According to this constitution, the election for the parliament was held on 7th Falgun 2015 BS. Nepal was divided into 109 Constituencies. The Nepali Congress won 74 seats in this election and formed the government. Bishweshar Prasad Koirala became the first elected Prime Minister of Nepal. B.P.Koirala formed a cabinet on 13th Jestha 2016 BS.
Important Readings: What are social Rules?
The Event of 2017 ( Satra Salko Kanda )
After the general election of 2015, a popular government formed on the premiership of B.P. Koirala. People cast their votes to choose their government by themselves for the first time. But King Mahendra did not like the popularity of B.P. Koirala. He was a very ambitious king and wanted to rule by himself. So using Article 55 of the constitution of 2015, he dismissed the elected government, suspended parliament, and imprisoned the Prime Minister on 1st Paush 2017 BS.
Popular Readings: Major Political Activities between 2007 and 2017BS
He also arrested ministers, political activists, and leaders and took the sole government was unable to solve the problems of the people and failed to maintain law and order. National unity and the sovereignty of the country were in danger. This act of King Mahendra is called Incident of 2017 BS. After 21 days after this incident, he started a partyless autocratic Panchayat system in Nepal. Nepalese people had to struggle for 30 years to restore their fundamental rights and Loktantra.
Socio-economic Achievement from 2007 to 2017 BS.
Though the period of 2007 to 2017 BS was full of political instability and tremulous, many important changes took place in the country. The major socio-economic achievements of this period are as follows:
- The constitutional rule with a multiparty democratic system began after the revolution of 2007 BS.
- Diplomatic relations were established with many countries of the world.
- Five-year plans were started and implemented.
- The municipal election of Kathmandu Municipality took place for the first time.
- Land reform program and Birta Abolition Act was implemented
- Great changes took place in the field of education. Common people also got the opportunity to go to schools and colleges. English medium schools were opened throughout the country.
- Airways service began and internal as well as international flights started.
- Civil Service Act 2013 was implemented and Rastra Bank was established.
- All forests of Nepal were nationalized.
- Telephone and telegram services started.
Though such socio-economic development took place to some extent the political achievement couldn’t take place due to continuous political instability and the pace of development was slow.